The early evening worship services at Grace on Christmas Eve are led by the children of Church and School. The candlelit cross (actually flashlights for safety purposes) formed by the 5th – 8th grade students will begin the service for the 73rd consecutive year.
All children in grades 1–8 in the School are involved in this annual highlight of our school year
Here's what parents need to know
After reading the following information, let us know about your child(ren)’s participation in the Christmas Eve service using the link to the online form below. Please complete the online form by November 15, whether or not your child is participating. If you have more than one child in the School, a separate response is needed for each child.
There are two services on December 24, 4:15 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.
• Children in grades 1-4 may participate in one service or both.
• Children in Grades 5–8 have the option to participate in the choir or in the costumed pageant.
• Children in the pageant participate in one or both services.
• Members of the 5-8 Choir and the School Handbell Choir (Strike Team) must be present for BOTH services. If
participation in both services is not possible for your child, being in the pageant for one service is an option.
• Students in the School Handbell Choir will ring during the service, and will also participate in Grace’s traditional
• 8th grade students may also be readers at one or both services, as assigned. They rehearse with Ms. Gwen
Gotsch, times to be arranged.
Grace has followed the recommendations of state and local health officials since the beginning of the pandemic and continues to strive for safety. We continue to mandate that all children wear masks when singing and that they are spaced at a distance of three feet from one another. Children in grades 5 through 8 are required to wear a Filti brand NF95 mask, provided by Grace. These masks have worked effectively throughout the school year and children will receive a new mask before services on Christmas Eve, just as they have each month for choir.
If you have questions about the services or your child’s participation, please email your child’s classroom teacher or Johanna Johnson at email@example.com.
Your help and support make it possible for this tradition of leading Christmas Eve worship to continue at Grace. We pray that your child’s participation in these services helps them grow in faith and knowledge of God’s love, shown to us in Christ’s birth.